A year ago today I entered a new door in this adventure called life.Many friends back in the day might remember a novel that we would share at parties, entitled I Married Adventure, The novel is an excellent memoir of Osa Leighty who married Martin Johnson, a pioneering photographer who toured with the great Jack London.
As a young, inquisitive, and very independent small town girl, I was very attracted to global and worldly approaches. So, in the mid and late 1990's, I got out of Texas, traveling to Mexico, Holland, Belgium, France, Mexico, and around 33 states. I am grateful that I was introduced to new perspectives, ideologies, fantastic museums, and the music...all from a backpack. My two sons later got to tag along and continue to do so with their two very unique parents, who enjoyed the comforts of rural Texas for a home but also took on large adventures. We entered a new adventure last year, for me it is a solo one.
This year has been rough. Single parenting is hard and can be so difficult on kids. What have I learned this year?
- Take it one day at a time.
- Pray About Specific Events or People Daily.
- Inward reflection for improvement is hard but necessary for personal growth.
- Your kids love you and it will be ok.
- Your stronger than you know.
- The right people and events come into your life at the right time.
- Struggles and conflict bring great opportunities.
- Boundaries are healthy and necessary.
- Life is short and enjoy the people in it today.
And..... learning to marry your own adventure is a gift.